Your Florida Brewery Can Sell Liquor and Fill Growlers, But They Don’t Always Mix

It is possible for a Florida brewery to both sell liquor and fill growlers, and there are two ways to go about it.

The first option is for a Florida brewery (actually, the taproom attached to the brewery) to get a 4COP quota license. This license allows a retail establishment to sell beer, wine, and liquor for consumption on premises or takeout. The number of 4COP quota licenses available in each Florida county is limited, so purchasing a quota license can be very expensive.

The second option requires two different retail licenses: a 4COP-SFS and a 2COP. A 4COP-SFS license allows a retailer to sell beer, wine, and liquor, for consumption on premises only, as long as at least 51% of revenues come from sales of food and non-alcoholic beverages. A 2COP license allows a retailer to sell beer and wine for consumption on premises or carryout, including growlers. Unlike the 4COP quota license, the 4COP-SFS and 2COP licenses can be issued in unlimited number. However, there’s a catch: the 4COP-SFS premises and the 2COP premises must be completely separated.

Separation is the Key

Separating the 4COP-SFS premise and the 2COP premises is necessary to comply with Florida Statutes Section 561.20, which states in part:

A food service establishment granted a special license [that is, a 4COP-SFS license] may not operate as a package store and may not sell intoxicating beverages under such license after the hours of service or consumption of food have elapsed.

Keeping these spaces separate is the key, but what does separate mean in this case? Generally, a customer who starts in the dining area (the 4COP-SFS premises) must exit the building and re-enter the package store area (the 2COP premises). Can there be a door between the dining area and the package store area? Yes, but only if the door is locked or barred so that customers cannot go from one area into the other without first leaving the building.

Keeping the dining area and the package store area separate has one other implications: the beer that is sold in both locations must be kept separate as well (at least during business hours). Beer to be sold in the package store area must be stored in the package store. For canned or bottled beer, this could be in a small cooler. Filling growlers in the package store area means that a draft system must be situated in the package store. Growlers cannot be filled in the dining room and then taken to the package store when purchased by a customer. Likewise, a customer cannot order a six-pack or a growler from the package store. However, there is a way to allow the people and the beer to move freely: invest in a 4COP quota license.

Before applying for Florida beverage related licenses, its critically important to understand what you can and cannot do with each license, and how they affect each other. We can help at

Because we’re attorneys: This blog post is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis as of the date of publication. We disclaim any duty to update or correct any information contained in this blog post, including errors, even if we are notified about them. To the fullest extent permitted by law, we disclaim all representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied with respect to the information contained in this blog post, including, but not limited to, warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, non-infringement, accuracy, completeness, and timeliness. We will not be liable for damages of any kind arising from or in connection with your use of or reliance on this blog post, including, but not limited to, direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, and punitive damages. You agree to use this blog post at your own risk. Regarding your particular circumstances, we recommend that you consult your own legal counsel–hopefully BrewerLong.

Rate this Post

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars