Brewers’ Law 101: Federal TTB Retail Registration

TTB SealThe retail sale of alcoholic beverages is regulated by the federal government and the state government. Within the federal government, the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) is the agency charged with collecting federal taxes on alcohol and assuring compliance with alcohol permitting, labeling, and marketing requirements.

Before selling alcoholic beverages within the United States, the retailer must register with the TTB. Unlike the manufacturing of alcoholic beverages, retail sales do not require specific approval by the TTB. Registering as a retailer with the TTB involves filing a short form in hard copy by mail. There is no registration fee.

Rate this Post

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars